Nyack is a village located primarily in the town of Orangetown in Rockland County, New York, United States. Incorporated in 1872, it retains a very small western section in Clarkstown. It is an inner-suburb of New York City lying approximately 19 miles (31 km) north of the Manhattan boundary near the west bank of the Hudson River, situated north of South Nyack, east of Central Nyack, south of Upper Nyack. Nyack is one of five southeastern Rockland County villages and hamlets that constitute "The Nyacks" – Nyack, Central Nyack, South Nyack, Upper Nyack and West Nyack. Named after the Native Americans who resided there before European colonization, the village consists mostly of low-rise buildings lying on the hilly terrain that meets the western shore of the Hudson River. Adjacent South Nyack is the western terminus of the Tappan Zee Bridge, connected across the Hudson River to Tarrytown in Westchester County by U.S. Interstate 87, an important commuter artery.
Schools in Nyack:
Some places of interest:
- Edward Hopper House Art Center – 82 North Broadway – This home of the realist painter Edward Hopper was built in 1858. One room is devoted to materials about Hopper's work and life in Nyack. Three other rooms provide space for monthly exhibits by local artists. The restored garden is the setting for jazz concerts on summer evenings. (NRHP)
- Memorial Park, a short walk from downtown, has a children's playground, a cement skateboard park, tennis courts, a basketball court and a beautiful butterfly garden. Canoes and kayaks can be launched from the shores of the park into the Hudson River. Memorial Park hosts many special events including weekly music concerts in the summer, numerous festivals and even outdoor movies.
- Nyack Library – 59 South Broadway - the 1903 Carnegie Library building.
- Nyack-Tarrytown Ferry – foot of Main Street – Begun 1834 by Isaac S. Blauvelt on a vessel named Donkey, an Anglo corruption of Dutch dank je, or "thank you". The ferry remained in service until the opening of the Tappan Zee Bridge in the 1950s. This spot was also the start of the Nyack Turnpike, the first direct highway across Rockland County.
- Red Cross Center – 143 North Broadway. A cross gable Queen Anne building, it was built by Julia and Garret Blauvelt, a physician, surgeon and director of Nyack Hospital, in 1882 and given to the Red Cross in 1915. During World War I, World War II and the Korean War, the center was a hub for food and blood drives, gathering of clothes and supplies for shipment overseas. Helen Hayes, who lived nearby, was chairwomen of the war fund drive during World War II. Camp Shanks, one of the military's major wartime staging areas, relied heavily on the Red Cross volunteers and services. Today the center continues to provide clothing, food and shelter in times necessity and emergencies. The center has also provided certification courses in first aid and lifesaving skills since 9/11.
- Riverspace Arts in Nyack – 119 Main Street. Home of the Rockland Symphony Orchestra
- Tappan Zee Playhouse – 20 South Broadway – (NRHP) It was demolished in April 2004.
- Pretty Penny - 235 North Broadway - A Victorian river home that was formerly owned by American actress Helen Hayes and comedian Rosie O'Donnell
For more information about Nyack and the neighborhood, call a Q Home Sales Representative 845-35Q-HOME (845-357-4663)
- Chestnut Ridge
- New City
- New Hempstead
- Pearl River
- Spring Valley
- Stony Point
- Valley Cottage
- Wesley Hills
- West Haverstraw
- West Nyack
The source of the displayed data is either the property owner or public record provided by non-governmental third parties. It is believed to be reliable but not guaranteed. This information is provided exclusively for consumers’ personal, non-commercial use.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this web site comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program of the Multiple Listing Service of Long Island, Inc.